Monday 4 November 2013

Merchant & Mills - a maker's paradise


During the week I am a designer, but on the weekend I'm a maker. So it was wonderful to visit the Merchant and Mills shop in Rye - this really is a maker's paradise.
An emporium of everything to do with sewing from patterns and fabrics, through to all sorts of notions. Merchant and Mills is the creation of Carolyn Denham and Roderick Field. Carolyn is the maker, responsible for the patterns and sewing side, while Roderick is the graphic designer responsible for the  packaging and stationary.

As you can see from the photographs the store is beautifully considered, as is the Merchant and Mills website and online store. On the website they also have a great video about their enterprise see here.
So what did I buy? …. all sorts of hardware for my bag making, a super sharp awl, more tailor's chalk…. but best of all their Maker's Journal. This is fabulous, it's a note book that concertinas out. The beauty of this is that you can add fabrics and things without it bulging to one side. Also you can view all of the contents at once. I'll be using my Journal for my next big personal project - designing my new flat!

2 comments:

  1. I envy you. Wish I could have visited when I was in the UK. Alas…I was in Scotland. But, I did order from M&M and am now starting to resell their products in my online shop (from Cleveland, OH).
    http://christinemauersberger.com/hank-and-spool/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, you must return! Having visited your website, I can only say you'd love it and could get waylaid there for a day or two. Are you also using their products in the development of you own creations as well as selling them?

      Delete